Wednesday, June 24

Procrastination

Is a behavior which is characterized by deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. - Wikipedia

I've been teaching Time Management and I always stress in class that this is one of the behaviors one should avoid. Easier said than done. SInce I was a kid, I used to procrastinate. I remember when we were in high school, me and my sister used to have study tables beside each other. I was wondering how come by 8pm she's done with all of her assignments and even if she has an exam the following day, she can still finish by that time. I even quizzed her just to check whether she really studied and yes, she was able to answer my questions. In college, it was the same thing. I would normally not sleep especially during exam week while my sister is there sleeping soundly. Guess what, she graduated with honors but this is another topic. Now that I am already working, I always experience "rushing" some of my deliverables. That was when I came to realize that I kept on delaying things.Wishing that I can defer it simply because I dread doing the work. As a result, I tend not to be productive and highly stressed.

Questions in my mind -- perhaps it's time to really think whether I like what I'm doing or do I have need to go to a more stressful environment (my gosh, if you dont classify my current one as such, i can't imagine what it's like out there), or do I need to seek a psychologist (it might be a too abnormal behavior).

2 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe you have to re-think what it is that you're spending most of your waking hours on right now. Remember, we're only given one life to live so live it to the fullest, doing what you're passionate about and spending time with the people who matter most to you.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger The Mermaid said...

My recent posting answers your question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home